Thursday, December 15, 2011

Hanging Advent Wreath

My friend Xhonané has been hosting the Advent Link Up as part of her Liturgical Calendar Link Up Party, and she has also invited her readers to share their advent wreath pictures and traditions.  She had told me a few weeks ago when I described our Advent wreath to her that I should post about it.  I had already started writing the post, but got busy promoting my new book and did not finish until I saw Xhonané’s invitation today.

This year, we bought a wreath of live evergreen and pine branches, complete with berries and small pine cones.  I also bought my four candles, three purple ones and one pink, in small glass jars.  They were actually the only candles left in those colors at the store, but they are perfect for a live wreath, as they help keep the flame away from the branches and leaves.

At first, we put the wreath on our dining room table, with the candles around it.  I don’t have a picture of it that way, because a few days later, my husband decided to hang it in our dining room window.  


He used a metal tea light frame that is always in that window to hang the wreath, and the tea light holders are perfect for our four advent candle jars.  The red star above is also a tea light holder that is always hanging there, but it is a nice addition to the scene, I think.  

Each Sunday, we gather in front of our wreath, light our candles and pray as a family while we reflect on the gospel reading.  We keep those curtains open during the day and since our dining room is open to the living room and kitchen, we can see and enjoy our wreath all day long every day.

We even used the window as a backdrop for our family Christmas photo.  We bought the tea light frame when we moved into this house and had it standing in the living room before our youngest child was born.  We’ve hardly used it since we moved it to the window, but now it has a chance to be noticed again.

I hope you and your family will have a wonderful and faith filled Advent.  This link from the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops has a blessing you can say over your wreath.

You can read my Advent Calendar Activities post here and my More Advent Activities and Books post here.

In 2012 I am linking with:



In 2011, I linked with:

The Advent Link Up hosted by Xhonané at Familia Católica

4 comments:

  1. Elisa, this is a lovely idea. Isn't it just wonderful how a live evergreen makes the home smell so delicious? :) Thanks for linking up at Preparing for Baby Jesus (Raising Little Saints)
    Blessings,
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika, thank you for reminding me! When we first brought the wreath home, our dining room smelled so festive. The scent has worn off now, but the wreath is still lovely to look at.

    And thank you for hosting the link up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ¡Gracias por compartir!! Ya lo incluí en mi entrada!!! Y Felicidades por tu libro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I've never seen anyone do anything like this; it's a wonderful idea. Thanks so much for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback, reactions, and ideas are appreciated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...