Thursday, November 17, 2011

November Writing News

Here’s a list of my news.  Announcements about writing competitions follow.

  • My poem “Bat Bridge” is scheduled for publication in the anthology Improbable Worlds from Mutabilis Press.  The launch party for the book is December 2.
  • My chapbook, scheduled for publication later this month, is going through the editing process.
  • I have recently updated nearly all of my Pages (blue tabs above), and I’ve included two new pages.  See “My Publications” for more information about the two bullets above.  See “Upcoming Events” for details about my reading in Chicago next February.  I hope you will check back later for updated information about these publications and my event.
  • The new “Audio” page contains the links for two radio programs I recorded this year.  Go listen.
  • The new “Previous Events” page contains a record of the poetry readings I have participated in recently: who, when, and where.  Each event contains links to the sponsoring organizations, all of which are worth reading about.
  • A new poem that I have mentioned in previous blog entries, “My Hurricane Ike Story,” was very well received at my most recent reading.  This poem is not quite finished, and I am considering a change to the title.  Look for more details in a later post.
  • My recent decision to participate in religious link ups has brought me lots of new readers, including many whose primary language is Spanish.  ¡Bienvenidos!  Welcome, new readers.  November may be the month with the most hits ever.  Thank you for your interest and support.  Keep those comments coming.
  • I will continue to post about healthy eating and living, especially over the semester break, so if this is your main interest, keep reading.  And, let me know what you are interested in seeing.

Announcements

You will notice a common theme below that I find particularly inspiring: art influenced by other art.  I often use other writing, art, music ,or dance to jump start my creative process.  If you have never tried this, here is  your chance.

  • The Rice Gallery is sponsoring an ekphrastic writing event titled “Words & Art.”  Ekphrastic writings are inspired by a work of art.  The Rice Gallery invites you to visit their current exhibit (no charge), write something inspired by the art, and read at their event on November 30.  More information here (scroll down), and on the Words & Art Facebook page.  If you miss the deadline to be a featured reader, you can still perform at the open mic.
  • The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston and Public Poetry are sponsoring ARTlines, an Ekphrastic Poetry Competition open to Texas residents.  View the participating artworks online and submit your poem by December 30.  Winners will be featured during a program in April and in print and recorded exhibits at the museum.  Details here.
  • Submit to the Texas Poetry Calendar 2013.  Deadline February 21.  Details here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback, reactions, and ideas are appreciated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...